My Claim is Being Contested – What Do I Do?

If you filed a workers’ compensation claim without the benefit of an attorney, and the employer or insurer has contested the claim, the best course of action is to hire a workers’ compensation attorney.  It is certainly possible to handle the claim yourself and represent yourself, but there is an old saying for that, he who represents himself has a fool for a client and an idiot for a lawyer.

The saying is, of course, an oversimplification.  And you are likely a very intelligent person.  However, when a claim is contested, the workers’ compensation claim has essentially become a workers’ compensation case.

When issues are filed, the process of a contested claim is started.  Issues can be filed for any number of reasons.  The employer or insurer might believe you were not hurt at work.  They might believe the injury is pre-existing, and not related to the work related injury.  Whatever the reason, issues filed or a claim being contested is the time to try to hire a workers’ compensation attorney.

« Back to all FAQs

Get your question answered.